Tuesday, November 22, 2011

2012 Porsche Cayenne

The 2012 Porsche Cayenne
I was driving home from work last night, minding my own business. And then it hit me. In front of me and to the left, was the new Porsche Cayenne.

I fell in love immediately, what a gorgeous piece of car. Our song is pumped up kicks. Here's proof of the lightning strike.

I've always looked at Cayennes wishing they'd done this or that differently. It had a lot of potential. But, then again, it comes from a manufacturer that tries to be as obscene looking as possible. Seen the yellow specimens? What about those hideous ailerons?

Gee, I see it's a nice SUV, but Porsche? Really? I hate Porsches. Why? Well, it must be because, again, of those disgusting looking, fire-engine red Porsches in the 1980s and 1990s aileron sticking up high, like blood-tinged peacock tail feathers. Or worse, an Ivy League nose stuck up in the air. YUCK.

I'm incredibly sensitive to engineering and design aesthetics--I'm Italian after all...that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it. Don't even get me started on BMWs. See evidence of my reason for the grudge with Porsche here (928), here (911), and here (Panamera).

But this latest Cayenne design fixes so many things. The aerodynamicity, the smooth, almost-liquid lines. The recognizable fascia. One of the neat things is an opticall illusion, creating the sense the vehicle's gotten smaller---maybe a bump bigger than a Nissan Murano. In reality, this Cayenne beast is actually longer and wider. *insert uncut and thicker jokes here*

If you don't believe me, check out the before (2003 model) and after (2012 model). This is a big deal, because other luxury SUV makers are going to pay attention to the style and smooth lines and (hopefully) take a hint to clean up their own hot messes--yes BMW and Volvo, I'm looking straight into your soulless eyes.

I went and did a little digging and found out that the base model (2011 vintage @ V6) Porsche Cayenne (300HP, 295T) is just a smidge more powerful than my Infinity EX35 (2008 vintage @ V6 297HP, 253T), however, that mine is faster by almost two seconds (!). I wasn't kidding when I said it was a beast. And they've ligthened it? Yikes?

It's a slick looking SUV and definitely on my radar--just like the BMW X1 (hello? US market?) potentially is, but I really like my little silver bullet and, more importantly...I still have a year and a half left on the loan. ^^;

I will play this song, listen closely, rinse and then repeat. Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment