Friday, June 22, 2012

Knowing Your Vehicle's Worth

Recently, I went to my local Carmax outlet to obtain an appraisal on my vehicle. I was considering selling because I could use the funds to pay off my car loan and either part of my student loan or a huge chunk of my credit card balance.

I ended up enjoying the process at  Carmax, which only takes 30 minutes to review 125 points on your vehicle. They do a thorough physical and history inspection of your vehicle, and provide you a printed report on everything they were able to find on your car.

The report showed that my vehicle didn't have any major mechanical or body issues, and that it had retained almost 100% of its value since I bought it. Big kudos.

This report is pretty much the same report you'd get at Carmax if you were looking to purchase one of their cars.

Carmax does not accept any frame or water damaged cars, but everything else is fine and worth a look. If the vehicle is in serious condition but still acceptable, it may end up in the rear lot auction versus the front lot sale area.

It was a great learning experience that really left me with a lot to think about. I was planning on driving my significant-other unit's Honda Civic should I decide to sell my vehicle. In the end, however, because my significant-other unit is planning on eventually selling his vehicle and obtaining a (much lower mpg) Jeep Wrangler, I opted to retain my vehicle for a few more years.

I walked away from the experience having gained a lot more knowledge and trust in the Carmax process and philosophy. I would definitely consult their website to search for a new-to-me vehicle, or if I saw one of their other locations have a brand new vehicle that I would be interested in owning.

Here's to good car buying experiences.


No comments:

Post a Comment