Friday, February 22, 2013

2013 Chicago Auto Show

I managed to attend the Chicago Auto Show on its last day this year. Just in by the skin of my teeth!

Amazingly, it only took two hours to run through both display areas, which must be a record time for me. Then again, I recently traded in and acquired a brand new, economical model, so I'm officially off the car market. Though my car voyeur addiction goes on ;o)

I didn't have any sitting, testing, or trying out to do, so this visit to the auto show was just to breathe in the vibe, enjoy the sights, and check for unusual or upcoming trends.

Here's some highlights from my visit:
  • Toyota always has a great combination of displays, categorizing their vehicles in sections, adding some fun racing exhibits, and creating some flair for a special model they might have just released (this year the avalon with a great glass rain type of display).
  • The three companies allowing range test drives were Chrysler, Jeep, and Toyota hybrids. No Fiats or Dodges this year.
  • There was a huge, fenced area where exotic vehicles were being displayed. This area had one of the largest crowds during my visit.
  • One of my favorites, that I look for each year, is the Itasca Police Department Subaru Impreza. This year, they went with a different color scheme!
  • BMW finally brought out the X1s, but I'm so jaded I don't give a hoot anymore. They took too long to come to the NA market.
  • Whenever Mercedes locks the doors to their models, people avoid the display like the plague. 
  • I knew Fiat was likely to present their new larger, four-door model and I wasn't disappointed. There were two examples in lovely retro color schemes. I look forward to seeing how this new model will impact the Mini Countryman's market share.
  • Some variety matte and satin paint job models were out and about in some display areas. Not sure whether these were just special models or a trend that we might see out on the street.
  • The vintage models were out en rigueur this year, so I had to gawk for a good while.
  • People absolutely love miniature cars, like the Smart and the electric models, though you hardly ever see any out on the street in this area.

No comments:

Post a Comment